- NWF State College Student Interning with Oregon's Institute of Marine Biology
- Winners Named in 29th Annual James and Christian LaRoche Memorial Poetry Contest
- Mallett Named Army ROTC Superior Cadet for 2014-15
- Collegiate High Senior Named Forensics Student of the Month
- Jazz Ensemble Members Earn Top Honors at Pensacola Jazz Competition
- Bethany Fralish takes lessons learned at NWF State College with her on path to become teacher
- Vanessa Payne meets all challenges to reach goal of bachelor’s degree
- Benji Bell named FCSAA Male Athlete of the Year
- NWF State College students advance to SkillsUSA National Championships
- New Pacesetters selected at Northwest Florida State College
- Student nurses help children at diabetes camp
- New student ambassadors chosen at Northwest Florida State College
- CBA’s Alison McDowell celebrated as a local hero
- McGill co-authors book on policing's impact on those in uniform
- Collin Zeigler selected as a Chancellor's Student of the Month
- Pickler earns first at Gulf Coast Steinway Society Awards Music Festival
- Student Government Association leaders installed for 2015-16
Jazz Ensemble Members Earn Top Honors at Pensacola Jazz Competition
Four members of the Jazz Ensemble of Northwest Florida State College recently earned top honors at the fifth annual Jazz Society of Pensacola Student Jazz Competition. The competition winners received monetary awards to be used to further their jazz/music education and also performed on April 12 at the 2015 Pensacola JazzFest in Seville Square.
In the high school division, Dillon Buckley of Niceville won first place playing vibes, and Skylar Purvis of Niceville, playing alto sax, took third place.
In the college division, Derick Masters of Crestview, playing bass guitar, received third-place honors, and Jarrod Rosenstock of Freeport took fourth performing drum set.
The Jazz Ensemble of NWF State College includes performers who are among the best and brightest of the college's renowned fine and performing arts program. The group is led by adjunct music faculty and professional jazz musicians Fred Domulot and Tom Latenser and includes both instrumental and vocal performers who appear in concert at the college's Mattie Kelly Arts Center and throughout the community.
Scholarships are available for Jazz Ensemble members. Auditions are held in the spring term, and a final audition opportunity is normally held the first week of classes each fall semester. Interested musicians who plan to attend NWF State College in August are invited to participate. For more information, contact the Humanities, Fine & Performing Arts Division at 850-729-5382.
Photo L-R: Dillon Buckley, Skylar Purvis, Jarrod Rosenstock, Derick Masters.